The findings described come from IBM Security analysis of research data compiled by Ponemon Institute. Cost amounts in this report are in US dollars (USD).
- $4.45M is the average data breach cost that reached an all-time high in 2023, a 2.3% increase from the 2022 cost of USD 4.35 million.
- 51% of organizations plan to increase security investments as a result of a breach.
- $470,000 is the additional cost experienced by organizations that didn’t involve law enforcement in the ransomware attack.
- 82% of breaches involved data stored in the cloud.
- $1.02M is the average cost savings between breaches that took less than 200 days to find and resolve and those that took more than 200 days.